The Fulbright Archives Online, 1949-2016 (excerpts): Papers of the Dutch-American Fulbright Program

The Fulbright Archives Online, 1949-2016 (excerpts): Papers of the Dutch-American Fulbright Program

Papers of the Dutch-American Fulbright Program

In 1949, the Fulbright Program was set up in the Netherlands as well. In order to better coordinate academic exchanges between the Netherlands and the US, the two countries formally established a bilateral United States Educational Foundation (USEF) in Amsterdam. Since then, that organization has changed its name twice. In 1972, USEF became the Netherlands America Committee for Educational Exchange (NACEE). NACEE in turn became the Fulbright Center in 2004. The documents collected by the USEF, NACEE, and the Fulbright Center are held by the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies (RIAS) in Middelburg. However, due to privacy regulations and classification, the only part of this collection that is digitally available is its Section G. This collection comprises 6,851 scans and is part of --Transatlantic Relations Online: Digital Archives of the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies--, which is the result of ongoing cooperation between the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies- and Brill.

More information: Brill.com

Get access

In September 1945, James William Fulbright, Democratic freshman Senator from Arkansas, launched the idea to organize a worldwide system of academic exchanges. To fund such a plan, Fulbright proposed to use the proceeds from the sale of surplus war equipment in foreign countries after World War II. Within a year, President Harry Truman signed the Fulbright Act, which allowed 35 foreigners to study in the US and 65 Americans to refine their studies abroad. Since then, the Fulbright Program has expanded worldwide with projects, grants, and funding schemes that have so far offered more than 300,000 students, researchers, and teachers the opportunity to study or teach abroad.

In 1949, a bilateral United States Educational Foundation (USEF) was established in Amsterdam to coordinate students’ exchanges between the Netherlands and the United States. Since then, that organization has changed its name twice. In 1972, USEF became the Netherlands America Committee for Educational Exchange (NACEE). NACEE in turn became the Fulbright Center in 2004. The documents collected by the USEF, NACEE, and the Fulbright Center are held by the RIAS in Middelburg. This rich archival collection consists of more than 250 boxes with documentation on the goals, the means, and the results of the Fulbright exchange program. Overall, the collection offers documentation from 1949 up until the 1990s. Applicants’ files and information material are present starting from 1985. Due to privacy regulations and classification, the only part of this collection that can currently be digitized is Section G.

Section G contains a large variety of historical sources on the foundation and development of the NACEE and the Fulbright Center. It also contains reflections of alumni of the Fulbright Program and speeches by and on Senator Fulbright. Other documents in this section range from papers related to an earlier exchange organization, the Netherland-America Foundation from the period 1920-1940, to personal collections of alumni.

This collection comprises 6,848 scans and is part of Transatlantic Relations Online: Digital Archives of the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies, which is the result of ongoing cooperation between the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies and Brill.

Cite this page

The Fulbright Archives Online, 1949-2016 (excerpts), Project Advisor: Dario Fazzi, Roosevelt Institute for American Studies, Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2020 <http://primarysources.brillonline.com/browse/the-fulbright-archives-online-1949-2016-excerpts>